The content shown in these videos is presented in a logical progression of topics that allows for a foundation to be constructed and context to be built upon as the reader progresses through the chapters. The videos are designed to correspond to the chapters in the book. However individual videos can be used to teach a particular concept.
These videos are designed to be used in multiple grade levels including college. The levels of discussion and the difficulty of the assessment can vary depending on the purpose and the level of the students.
The videos can be found on:
Our IowaCyber YouTube Channel: http://tinyurl.com/iowacyberyt
Our IowaCyber Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/iowacyber
You can download MP4 versions from this site: (coming soon)
The organization of the videos is as follows:
- Video 1 presents a discussion of plagiarism and is designed to help students understand the concepts of plagiarism and Internet resources. This module is not part of the book, but is an important topic.
- Videos 2 and 3 (Book chapter 1) presents an introduction to the topic of computer security, defines key terms and security truisms, as well as discusses commonly held, but inaccurate, conceptions about the topic of computer security.
- Videos 4 – 8 (Book Chapter 2) provides the technological foundation for the remainder of the modules by developing a working model for how a computer operates and also how the Internet moves data from one computer to another.
- Videos 9 – 12 (Book Chapter 3) discusses the many threats that seek to steal, observe, and learn passwords. Once the threats are understood, this chapter provides password security best practices and defines a secure password as not only a strong password but also a unique and secret password as well.
- Videos 13 and 14 (Book Chapter 4) focuses on the topic of email and broadly presents how email is sent and received on the Internet. With this context in hand, the many threats that plague the common uses of email are discussed and mitigation strategies are presented.
- Videos 15 – 17 (Book Chapter 5) focuses on all the different ways that malware infects a computer and what malware does once it infects a computer.
- Videos 18 (Book Chapter 6) supplements Chapter 5 by providing a defense-in-depth strategy to mitigate against the many malware threats that one is likely to encounter. The defense-in-depth strategy consists of data backup, software patches, firewalls, antivirus software, and last but not least, user education.
- Videos 19 and 20 (Book Chapter 7) deals primarily with the operation of the web browser and how functions that afford convenience also are at odds with security and privacy. These modules also discusses the popular and applicable topics of HTTPS and cookies among other types of information stored by web browsers.
- Videos 21 (Book Chapter 8) presents the topic of online shopping by discussing common security threats and online shopping best practices such as the motivation as to why using a credit card is more secure than a debit card when making online purchases.
- Videos 22 – 25 (Book Chapter 9) explains the security vulnerabilities that wireless networks present. Included in this discussion is an explanation between a secure and unsecure wireless network and the security threats and best practices for both a user of a wireless network (as typically found in a coffee shop) and as an administrator of a home wireless network.
- Videos 26 – 28 (Book Chapter 10) takes a different approach to social networking security and privacy by focusing on the higher-level concepts as they relate to public information sharing. A key discussion includes how information that is found on social networking sites affects one’s job or career prospects.
- Videos 29 (Book Chapter 11) unravels the many different ways that cyber criminals use social engineering tactics to trick their victims into revealing personal information and/or installing malware on their computers. Included in this module are the steps one can take to dissect a URL and how to consider each part of the URL in the context of security – a key skill to detect phishing emails and messages.
- Videos 30 (Book Chapter 12) examines the human threat of practical security by discussing a number of concepts and scenarios of how actions in the virtual world can have negative repercussions in the physical world.